Tina Miller, MS RD Meijer Healthy Living Advisor, www.meijerhealthyliving.com
- Eat together as a family…children eat an average of 1.5 portions more of fruit and vegetables daily than children who don’t have family meals according to a recent study from ScienceDaily.com. Family meals lead to better diets and healthier body weights for you and your family.a. Easy Meals, healthy families – the Meijer Healthy Living guidebook to make cooking together and eating together healthy and simple. Get your copy at the Meijer in-store event on January 19, 2013 from 11am-2pm, while supplies last, at all Meijer stores.b. Dinner together as a family is great, but don’t forget that sitting down for a family breakfast, brunch or lunch can be just as enjoyable. Take advantage of these other meal time opportunities, especially when you have evenings that are busy and overbooked.
- Eat more vegetables and fruit. Naturally low in calories and loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that fight colds, flu and chronic disease.a. Make it simple: start by committing to eating one more fruit or vegetable serving at every meal.b. Make it fun: Try a new produce item once every week or two. Variety increases nutrient intake and makes your diet more interesting.c. Make it budget friendly: Incorporate fresh in season produce, frozen without added seasoning or sauce, canned (no added salt when available). Also reach for juice and dried fruit (in moderate amounts).
- Exercise – Gyms can be expensive – look for options in and around your home and work. Walk the neighborhood, climb the stairs at work, make your own home gym with inexpensive equipment such as exercise bands. Get the whole family involved!
Kristen’s home gym for under $75.00:
Kristen Johnson, RD ACE-PT, Meijer Healthy Living Advisor
Did you know that Meijer carries some of the best brands of exercise equipment among trainers and gyms? You can put together your own home gym for under $75.00 using the following products:
*SPRI Ankle XERCUFF- $19.99 UPC 0-18713-58468
*SPRI Original XERTUBE- $14.99 UPC 0-18713-58463
*SPRI Speed Rope- $5.99 UPC 0-18713-58493
*ZoN 65CM Anti Burst Balance Ball-$14.99 UPC 039364627660
*ZoN Yoga Mat 24”x68”- $16.99 UPC 039364629572
4. Reduce stress: Healthy eating and exercise will help to reduce your stress level. Meditation, deep breathing, or just some time to quietly reflect daily can make a huge difference in how your body reacts to stress—even if it’s just 10 minutes a day. On-going (chronic) stress allows cortisol and other stress hormones to remain elevated, contributing to chronic inflammation and weight gain.
5. Be a Quitter! Bad habits are hard to break but your Meijer pharmacist can make it easier for you to quit smoking. Visit your Meijer pharmacy for quit-tips and product recommendations that make it easier for you to kick the habit.
Tips for Keeping Your New Year’s Resolutions
1. Start small and pick one resolution. Too many changes can become overwhelming, setting you up for failure from the start. Focus on one or two changes at the start of the year. Once you’ve achieved those initial goals, pick one or two more changes to work on later in the year.
2. Make a specific resolution. A concrete goal is easier to track and achieve. For example, if you want to lose 20 pounds by summer, set a goal of losing 3 to 4 pounds a month (or about 1/2 to 1 pound a week).
3. Make a plan for how to achieve your goals. Outline a clear plan for how to get to your goal and you will be able to accomplish it. Track your progress using an online app or use the old-fashioned method of a hand written journal. The visual reward of seeing your progress in writing will help keep you committed your resolution goal.
4. Avoid falling into the same old trap. New Year’s resolutions often fail because people fall back into the routine of old habits and cannot stick to their new choices. Persevere. Focus on establishing new habits and sticking to them.
5. Get support! Share your goals with friends and family who can encourage you to stick with it and tease you gently if you fall behind. When you’re struggling with your resolution, call on one of your friends or family to give you a pep talk and help you stick with your goals.