Tina Miller, MS RD Meijer Healthy Living Advisor, www.meijerhealthyliving.com
Join us Saturday May 18, 2013 from 11am to 4pm for the Meijer Taste of Summer Event! Pick up a free copy of our Taste of Summer Guide loaded with grilling tips, fresh recipes, and even pointers for the perfect graduation party. You’ll have the chance to sample great grilling items at several different tasting stations throughout the store and pick up money saving coupons along the way. The event takes place at all Meijer stores, so stop in a get inspired to “get your grill on”!
Get Your Grill On!
We are just a week away from Memorial Day weekend, the unofficial start to the summer grilling season. Venture out of your comfort zone and add some new flavors to your backyard feasts. Here are a few tips from the McCormick® Spices Flavor Forecast* to break you out of the same old bland “burger and dog” routine.
- Liven up burgers with “DIY Condiments”. Personalized condiments for burgers, hot dogs and grilled sausages.
- Southwest Mayo: Mix together 1/2 cup light mayonnaise, 1 to 2 Tbsp. lime juice, 1 tsp. each McCormick chili powder and ground cumin
- Lemony Herb Mayo: 1/2 cup light mayonnaise, 1 tsp. McCormick basil, 1/2 tsp. each McCormick Oregano, garlic powder and 1/2 to 1 tsp. lemon juice
- Herbed Mustard: 1/2 cup Meijer Dijon mustard plus 1 tsp. McCormick dill weed
- Worcestershire Pub Mustard: 1/2 cup Meijer Dijon mustard plus 1 tsp. McCormick grill mates Worcestershire pub burger seasoning
- Asian Spiced Ketchup: 1 cup Meijer ketchup, 1-2 tsp. reduced sodium soy sauce, 1/2 tsp. each McCormick garlic powder and ground ginger
- Cajun Spiced Ketchup: 1 cup Meijer Ketchup and 1 Tbsp. McCormick Perfect Pinch Cajun Seasoning.
- Marinade in Minutes! Massaging marinades into meats and poultry can hasten the marinating process, quickly adding flavor and moisture to grilled entrees.
- Place chicken, pork or steak with a marinade of your choice in a zip-lock closure bag.
- Push air out of bag and seal tightly.
- Massage meat in bag for 5 minutes, turning often so that meat absorbs all (most) of the marinade. Remove meat and place on grill. Discard bag with any remaining marinade.
- Charred Fruit Drinks: Adding grilled fruits to favorite classic summertime drinks like sangria, lemonade and iced tea gives a unique sweet and smoky flavor and also creates conversation worthy drink garnishes. Grill fruits over medium heat, turning half-way through cooking time. Use slightly under-ripe fruit to maintain texture and firmness. Sprinkle with ground cinnamon or nutmeg before grilling to bring out the sweet flavor.
- Grill 4-5 Minutes: Strawberries on skewers, Apples cut in 1/2” thick slices, Watermelon cut into 3/4” thick slices, Figs halved lengthwise.
- Grill 6-8 minutes: Apricots halved, Bananas halved lengthwise, Cantaloupe cut into 3/4” wedges, Kiwi halved, Papaya and Mango cut into 1/2” thick wedges, Citrus cut in 1/2” thick slices, Pineapple cut into 1/2” rings or 1” wedges.
- Grill 8-10 minutes: Grapefruit halves, Pears halved, Peaches or Nectarines halved.
- Social S’Mores: Build a “create your own s’more parfait” inspired dessert bar at your next gathering:
- Peach Melba S’mores: Layer crushed shortbread cookies, vanilla marshmallow crème, a dab of Meijer raspberry jam, and chopped grilled peaches (sprinkle lightly with ground cinnamon prior to grilling).
- Banana Split S’mores: Layer crushed vanilla wafers, vanilla marshmallow crème, Meijer chocolate sauce, and chopped grilled bananas and strawberries.
- Raspberry Lemon Bar S’mores: Layer crushed sugar cookies, vanilla marshmallow crème, lemon curd, fresh raspberries, and garish with a slice of grilled lemon.
*Content adapted from McCormick Flavor Forecast 2013 Grilling Edition, www.grillingflavorforecast.com
5-Minute Marinade: McCormick® Grilled Moroccan Spice Chicken
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup Meijer olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons McCormick® Onions, Minced
1 teaspoon McCormick® Cumin, Ground
1 teaspoon McCormick® Turmeric, Ground
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Black Pepper, Coarse Ground
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Cinnamon, Ground
1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Red Pepper, Crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
1. Mix all ingredients except chicken in medium bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons marinade for brushing.
2. Place chicken in large resealable bag. Add remaining marinade; turn to coat well. Massage chicken and marinade for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove chicken from marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
3. Grill chicken over medium heat 6 to 7 minutes per side or until cooked through, brushing with reserved marinade. Discard any remaining marinade.
Nutritional information per servings: Calories: 218, Fat: 10g, Cholesterol 73mg, Sodium: 171mg, Carbohydrates: 5g, Fiber 0g, Protein: 27g
Meijer Taste of Summer Grilled Potato Salad:
1 lb. small red potatoes, halved
4 Tbsp. Meijer Olive Oil, divided
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Meijer Dijon mustard
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup pitted black olives, halved
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Coat grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat grill to medium (300-350 degrees). Lightly coat potatoes with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place potatoes directly on grill rack. Grill 15 minutes or until fork-tender, turning every 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, mustard and remaining 3 Tbsp. olive oil. Add potatoes, tomatoes and olives; toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories 156, Fat 10g, Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium, 195mg, Carbohydrate 15g, Fiber 2g, Protein 2g.