Holiday Appetizers & Treats
Provided by: Tina Miller, MS RDN Meijer Healthy Living Advisor, www.Meijer.com/ahealthieryou
Cranberry Pecan Mini Goat Cheese Balls
Makes: 30 cheese balls
Cheese Ball Ingredients
2 8 oz. pkg. True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic cream cheese, softened
4 oz. goat cheese
4 oz. white cheddar cheese, finely grated
½ cup roughly chopped dried cranberries
½ cup finely chopped pecans
¼ cup thinly sliced chives
½ cup thinly sliced chives
½ cup finely chopped pecans
½ cup chopped dried cranberries
30 pretzel sticks
- Combine the ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until combined.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out small balls.
- Roll into a ball using your hands.
- Mix remaining chives, pecans, and cranberries in a shallow bowl for coating cheese balls.
- Roll the cheese balls in coating and spear with a pretzel stick.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- If preparing more than 4 hours in advance, don’t add the pretzel sticks until ready to serve.
Recipe and photo source: Trish-Mom on Time Out, http://www.momontimeout.com/2016/11/cranberry-pecan-mini-goat-cheese-balls/
2 pounds True Goodness by Meijer White Button Mushrooms, (the smaller the better)
2 Tbsps. True Goodness by Meijer Olive Oil
1/2 cup True Goodness by Meijer Balsamic Italian dressing
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsps. fresh parsley, chopped
2 tsps. Fresh thyme (or 1 tsp. dried), stems removed and chopped
¼ tsp. McCormick® ground black pepper
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and clean tops with a soft cloth to remove any dirt.
- In a large skillet add 2 tablespoons olive oil and warm over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and sauté stirring frequently 8-10 minutes. Remove mushrooms from pan with a slotted spoon and place in a large bowl; discard any leftover water/oil from the pan. Add Italian dressing, balsamic vinegar, parsley, thyme and pepper to the mushrooms; mix well to combine. Let stand in refrigerator at least 2 hours.
- Serve mushrooms chilled or at room temperature.
Nutrition information per serving: 225 Calories, 16 g Fat, 16 g Carb., 2.5 g Fiber, 22 g Protein, 1186 mg Sodium
5-Ingredient Cranberry + Brie Cinnamon Sugar Puff Pastry Swirls
These cheesy treats can be prepared in advance, stored, covered in the fridge and then baked just before serving.
Makes: 16-18 Swirls
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
3 tablespoons True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic butter, melted + divided
8 ounces soft brie cheese
1 cup True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic dried cranberries
1 egg white
2 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar (Mix together 2 Tablespoons True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic Cane sugar with 1/2 teaspoon True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic ground cinnamon)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll the sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface. Brush the pastry with about 1 tablespoon melted butter and then sprinkle with 1 Tablespoons cinnamon sugar.
- Slice or dice Brie into small pieces and place it evenly over the dough. Sprinkle the cranberries over the brie.
- Starting at one of the long ends, roll the pastry up as tightly as possible. Brush the roll at the seam with egg white.
- Brush with remaining melted butter and then sprinkle the roll with 1 Tablespoon cinnamon sugar to coat.
- Cover and chill dough for 1 hour or more.
- Slice into 1/2 inch pinwheels (Alternately: Place plain dental floss under the roll where you want to cut and cut into 1/2 inch wheels. Take the ends of the floss in each hand and wrap them around the roll. Keeping the ends of the floss in each hand, don’t let go and then tighten the floss so it starts to cut through the roll. Again, don’t change hands. Tighten until the floss comes out and the individual roll is separated. Repeat with the remaining rolls.)
- Place the swirls on the prepared baking sheet and bake 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the pastry golden. Allow to sit on the pan about two minutes and then transfer to a serving plate. Serve!
Mix & Match Trail Mix
These simple and delicious make great party nibbles or hostess gift.
Each recipe makes approx. 6-8 servings
½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Raw Brazil Nuts
½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Raw Shelled Almonds
½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
¼ cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Dried Cranberries
¼ teaspoon Sea Salt
¼ teaspoon True Goodness by Meijer Organic Cinnamon
½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Raw Almonds
½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Red Skinned Peanuts
¼ cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Semi-Sweet Baking Chips
Sweet & Spicy:
1 cup True Goodness by Meijer Deluxe Mixed Nuts
½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Semi-Sweet Baking Chips
½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Dry Cranberries
¼ teaspoon True Goodness by Meijer Organic Chili Powder
¼ teaspoon True Goodness by Meijer Organic Cayenne Pepper
- Mix and match any True Goodness by Meijer nuts, dried fruits and baking chips to create any of your favorite combinations!
Nutrition information per serving:
RAW Energy: 201 Calories, 15 g Fat, 4 g Sat, Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 120 mg Sodium, 15g Carb., 3g Fiber, 4g Protein
Sweet Treat: 248 Calories, 18g Fat, 6g Sat. Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 12 mg Sodium, 19g Carb., 4g Fiber, 7g Protein
Sweet & Spicy: 285 Calories, 17g Fat, 5g Sat. Fat, 0 mg Cholesterol, 156 mg Sodium, 32g Carb., 3g Fiber, 5g Protein
Yuletide Layer Bars
Makes 2 1/2 dozen bars
½ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic Butter
1½ cups Graham cracker crumbs
1½ cups True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic Flaked coconut
1 cup True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic Chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans or peanuts)
1 can (14oz) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Sweetened Condensed Milk
1-2/3 cups (10-oz. pkg.) NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Holiday Morsels
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Melt butter in 13×9-inch baking pan in oven; remove from oven. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over butter. Stir well; carefully press onto bottom of pan. Sprinkle with coconut and nuts. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over top. Sprinkle with morsels; press down lightly.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Tip: For easier cutting of bars, line pan with foil, extending over edges of pan. Coat lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake and cool as directed above. Lift from pan; remove foil. Cut into bars.
Recipe Source: NESTLÉ®, www.meijer.com/t1/holiday
Dylan’s Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 4 ½ dozen
2 cups Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour Blend (such as Pamela’s Artisan Blend or King Arthur Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour blend)
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
2 sticks (1 cup) True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic butter, softened
¾ cup True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic cane sugar
¾ cup True Goodness® by Meijer™ brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic eggs
¾ cup Gluten Free Oats
2 Tablespoons Ground Flaxseed Meal
2 cups True Goodness® by Meijer™ semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pre-heat oven to 350°. In a large bowl beat butter until creamy (30 seconds); add sugars and continue to beat until well blended (1 minute) Add vanilla and eggs and beat until well combined.
- Mix dry ingredients, except chocolate chips, in a separate bowl until well combined.
- Gradually beat in dry ingredients in butter mixture.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoons on parchment covered or lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Let cookies cool slightly and use a spatula to remove from cookie sheet.
- Enjoy! Refrigerate any unused cookie dough for up to 10 days.
Note: Chill dough one-hour prior to baking to help cookies to keep their shape while baking.
Recipe Source: Tina Miller, MS RDN Meijer Health & Wellness Regional Advisor
Nutrition Information (per cookie): 105 Calories, 5.5g Fat, 3.5g Saturated Fat, 17 mg Cholesterol, 90 mg sodium, 12.5g Carbohydrate, 8g Sugar, 1g Fiber, 1.5g Protein.
Pomegranate Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Makes 18-24 cookies
½ stick (4 Tbsp.) True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic butter
1/3 cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic brown sugar
¼ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer ™Cane Sugar
1 True Goodness by Meijer Organic Extra Large Brown Egg
1 tsp. True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Vanilla Extract
¾ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ White Whole Wheat Flour
2 tbsp. ground flaxseed meal
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Ground Cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
1 cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Old Fashioned Oats
½ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
½ cup pomegranate seeds (drain extra liquid)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars on medium speed of electric mixer until creamy.
- Add egg and vanilla; beat well.
- Add flour and flaxseed meal, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt; mix well.
- Fold in oats, chocolate chips and pomegranate seeds.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoon onto parchment paper. Leave two inches between each cookie. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Let the cookies cool in the pan for about 5 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 146 calories, 6g fat, 3g saturated fat, 17mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 3g protein
Source: Chef Maribel Alchin, MBA, RD, LDN, Meijer Health & Wellness Regional Advisor
Cherry Almond Clusters
Makes 2 dozen
8 oz. True Goodness™ by Meijer Organic Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips
1 cup toasted almond slivers
1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350⁰F.
- Place almonds in a single layer on baking sheet. Bake 2-3 minutes, stir and bake an additional 1-3 minutes until golden. (Watch closely to avoid burning.)
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and microwave an additional 30 seconds, stir. Heat an additional 30 seconds if needed until chips are completely melted and smooth.
- Mix almonds and cherries into melted chocolate. Drop by teaspoons onto waxed or parchment paper. Refrigerate until firm.
Fancy Cashew Brittle:
Makes: about 4 cups
2 cups True Goodness™ by Meijer® salted cashews
1 cup True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic cane sugar
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda
- Spray a cookie sheet generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a 2-quart microwave safe bowl stir together cashews, sugar and corn syrup. Microwave on high until mixture is light golden brown (about 6-8 minutes), stirring half-way through.
- Use oven mitts and remove cashew mixture from microwave. Stir in butter and vanilla. Microwave and additional 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. The mix should be caramel colored.
- Use oven mitts and remove mix from microwave. Add baking soda and stir quickly and thoroughly until mix is light and foamy. Immediately spread on greased baking sheet. Cool completely and break into pieces.