Tina Miller, MS RDN, Meijer Healthy Living Advisor, www.Meijer.com/ahealthieryou
It’s soup season and January is National Soup Month! A warm bowl of soup is comforting, can be simple to prepare, and can help to keep you healthy through cold and flu season. Some health benefits from soup include:
- Chicken Soup: Studies using traditional homemade style chicken soup (chicken, broth, vegetables, noodles or rice) have demonstrated that this soup can help to inhibit cold and flu viruses. Steam from warm chicken soup helps open sinus passages and provides anti-inflammatory benefits to reduce sinus swelling and chest inflammation.
- Increases Vegetable Intake: Make your soup with extra vegetables. Research has shown that vegetable rich soups are rich in antioxidants that help to fight cell damage. Vegetable soups can also be budget friendly; use those straggling leftovers in your vegetable drawer in your soup.
- Weight Loss “Miracle”: Several research studies have demonstrated that enjoying a bowl of lower calorie vegetable soup before meals decreased calorie intake by as much as 20%!
Beef and Vegetable Soup
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups True Goodness™ by Meijer® beef stock
1 14.5-ounce can sliced carrots, drained (or 2 cups frozen)
1 1/2 cups True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic cut green beans
1 14.5-ounce can Meijer diced stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon True Goodness™ by Meijer® Organic dried basil
1 cup cooked whole wheat noodles or hidden veggies noodles
- In 4-quart saucepan over medium-high heat, cook ground beef and onion until well browned on all sides, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cook an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add beef broth, carrots, green beans, stewed tomatoes, basil to ground beef; over high heat, heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cooked noodles and cook an additional 4-5 minutes to heat through. Serve and Enjoy!
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION PER SERVING: Calories: 219, Total fat: 6g, Saturated fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 55mg, Sodium: 317 mg, Carbohydrate: 16g, Sugar: 6g, Fiber: 3g, Protein: 25g.
Recipe Adapted From: www.Cansgetyoucooking.com
Roasted Tomato & Barley Soup
2 cans (about 14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained, reserving juice
2 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons True Goodness by Meijer Organic olive oil
4 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth
2 stalks celery, diced (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Heat the oven to 425°F. Place the tomatoes, onions and garlic into a large roasting pan. Drizzle the oil over the vegetables and toss to coat. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Place the vegetables into a 3-quart saucepan. Stir in the reserved tomato juice, broth, celery and barley and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook for 35 minutes or until the barley is tender. Stir in the parsley.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 117 calories, 4g fat, 0mg Cholesterol, 409mg Sodium, 18g Carbohydrate, 4.5g Fiber, 3g Protein.
Recipe Source: www.Campbells.com/kitchen