Power Up with Breakfast
Tina Miller, MS RD Meijer Healthy Living Advisor
- Make quick cooking or instant oatmeal with milk instead of water. Toss in dried fruit like raisins, cranberries, cherries or blueberries along with some crunchy chopped nuts or pumpkin seeds.
- Layer plain yogurt with your favorite granola or crunchy cereal and blueberries.
- Blend a breakfast smoothie with low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana.
- Top whole-grain toast with mashed avocado and sprinkle with pepper.
- Make one packet of plain microwave oatmeal with low-fat milk. Mix in 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce and sprinkle with cinnamon or apple pie spice.
- Top a toaster whole-grain waffle with nut butter or peanut butter and strawberry slices.
- Fill half of a whole-wheat pita with a sliced hard-cooked egg and 2% milk shredded cheese.
- Spread a flour tortilla with peanut butter, add a small whole banana and roll it up.
- Spread low-fat cream cheese on a whole-grain toasted bagel. Top with sliced peaches.
- Top a toasted whole-grain English muffin with tomato, 2% Milk cheddar cheese and a slice of lean ham or Canadian bacon. Warm in microwave at half-to-70% power for 20-30 seconds, until cheese begins to melt.
Source: Adapted from Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Energy-Boosting Breakfast Recipes
Strawberries and Cream Smoothie
1 Cup Original Soy Milk or Low-fat Milk
1/2 cup True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic Frozen Strawberries
1 teaspoon Almond Butter
1/2 teaspoon True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic Vanilla Extract
1-2 teaspoons honey, if desired
Directions: Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 215 Calories, 6.5g Fat, 33g Carbohydrate, 8g Protein
Recipe source: www.Meijer.com/ahealthieryou
Ham and Asparagus Strata
12 Slices Italian bread, 1/2-inch thick, 4-inch diameter
1 Cup Meijer Shredded 2% milk sharp cheddar cheese
1 Cups Cooked Ham
2 Cups Asparagus, Cut into 1-inch pieces (thaw if frozen)
2 True Goodness® by Meijer™ Eggs
1 Cup Egg substitute
1 Cup Low-fat milk
2 Tablespoons Lemon juice
1/4 teaspoons Garlic powder
- Heat oven to 350°F. Place half of the bread in a single layer in greased 8-inch square baking dish. Top evenly with layers of half of the cheese, ham and asparagus. Cover with remaining bread, placing slices flat or in shingled pattern. Repeat layer with remaining cheese, ham and asparagus.
- Beat eggs, egg substitute, milk, lemon juice, and garlic powder in medium bowl until blended. Pour over layers in baking dish.
- Bake in oven until puffed, golden and knife inserted near center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 258 calories, 8g fat, 25g carbs, 20g protein
Recipe Source: www.Meijer.com/ahealthieryou