Spring is in the Air, So Get Moving!
Tina Miller, MS RDN, Food and Nutrition Expert, Integrative Health Professional. EMU Eagle Nutrition Services 160 Rackham Hall Ypsilanti, MI 48197, offering nutrition guidance, DEXA scans and BIA assessments. Contact us for more information: 734.487.6572 firstname.lastname@example.org.
Get moving with us! The EMU Eagle Nutrition Services Office annual “Couch to 5K Walk/Run Challenge!” takes place Wednesday March 28, 4:00 pm, starting at the Eagle Nutrition Office Building-160 Rackham. This event is free of charge, but please register and order your free run T-shirt by calling 734-487-6572 or email at email@example.com
As part of this event we will host an open house from 3-6 PM featuring tours of our Eagle Nutrition Services Office and our Teaching-Demo Kitchen.
Like us on Instagram @emunutrition and Facebook @EMU Eagle Nutrition Services
Simple Steps to Get Active
Follow these recommendations from the American Heart Association to tame your inner-couch potato and get moving! (source: https://healthyforgood.heart.org/move-more/articles/no-time-for-exercise-here-are-7-easy-ways-to-move-more)
Simple Solutions for Those with No Time to Exercise:
You found your keys. You found the motivation to clean out your closet. Now you can find 30 minutes in your day to get physically active! Don’t worry, there are plenty of easy, no-cost ways to do it.
Think there’s no way you can find the time? Good news: You don’t have to do all 30 minutes at once. You can get health benefits even if you split it into two or three 10- to 15-minute segments a day.
7 no-brainer ways to boost your activity level
- Grab the leash and walk your dog. Your body — and your pooch — will thank you!
- Take your kid (or your spouse) for a walk. It’s an excellent way to get some face time without screens. Keep it fun by exploring new neighborhoods or turning your walk into a scavenger hunt.
- Hit the mall. Are you shivering (or sweating) at the idea of walking outside? Take a fast stroll around the mall instead. Window shop, people watch and get active in a climate-controlled environment.
- Walk and talk. Even if you’re glued to your phone for work calls, you don’t have to be glued to your chair. Make it a habit to talk and walk. Some workplaces have walking paths to make it even easier to burn while you earn.
- Tune into fitness. Retrain your inner couch potato. Walk or jog in place, do yoga or lift weights, or walk on the treadmill at the gym while you watch your must-see TV shows.
- Ditch the car. Spare yourself the parking stress and log some more active time by parking farther away (or even leaving the car at home) and walking or biking to your destination.
- Take the stairs. The elevator may go up — but it doesn’t make your heart rate climb. Take the stairs when you can, even if just for a floor or two. And don’t ride the escalator – climb it. Those can be active steps, too!
When you start looking for them, you’ll see lots of opportunities to be more active every day and get a few more steps in during everyday activities. Remember, every step counts!